On Thursday I finally received my Llewellyn’s 2013 Sabbats Almanac. I admit I was so excited to receive the almanac since I was informed I won the giveaway. I’m going to do a review of the Llewellyn’s 2013 Sabbats Almanac, to help you decide, whether it is worth buying or not.
Title: Llewellyn’s 2013 Sabbats Almanac: Samhain 2012 to Mabon 2013
Authors: Deborah Blake, Raven Digitalis, Ellen Dugan, Janina Renée, and others
Number of Pages: 312
Price: $12.99 (€10.54, £8.28; Llewellyn.com) + shipping
The Llewellyn’s 2013 Sabbats Almanac: Samhain 2012 to Mabon 2013 is written by thirteen authors. Each of them is a practitioner of witchcraft or Wicca and an expert on a particular area (astrology, magical history and myths, clairvoyance etc.). The almanac is actually a guide how to celebrate your Sabbats more magically, and offers new and fun ways to celebrate. I haven’t read the whole almanac, only the introduction and About the Authors pages (I did read some recipes and crafts, I was too curious not to read them :-)), because I shall read the section for a particular Sabbat maybe a week or two before the nearing Sabbat to prepare and plan how I’ll celebrate. For each of the eight festivals, there are the following chapters:
- introduction to the Sabbat with short history and connection to the other cultures and gods and goddesses;
- Cosmic Sway: astrological view to the time of the Sabbat, with some historical background;
- The Old Ways: history of the Sabbat as well as myths and traditions;
- Feasts and Treats: holiday food recipes to prepare perfect holiday meal;
- Crafty Crafts: instructions for creating beautiful seasonal decorations;
- One Family: celebrating the Sabbats is better if your family joins you. Here are some tips and stories how did the authors celebrate the Wiccan holidays;
- a Sabbat ritual for covens as well as for solitary witches.
Llewellyn’s 2013 Sabbats Almanac is a very practical guide, especially to new witches and Wiccans as myself, to enrich the celebration of the eight Sabbats. I know I’ll enjoy reading the almanac and so shall you. If you don’t feel the connection with some of the festivals, this almanac will give you tips and ideas to have a great holiday. For the end, this is the description from the back cover of the almanac:
From seasonal crafts to time-honored customs, this essential guide offers fun and fresh ways to celebrate the eight sacred Wiccan holidays — and enrich your spiritual life throughout the year.
Get a unique perspective on honoring the Wheel of the Year from your favorite Wiccan and Pagan authors. Plan spiritually uplifting celebrations and family activities. Perform Sabbat-specific rituals and world folk rites. Whip up tasty treats and crafts as reminders of the season’s gifts and lessons.
Before I end this article, I would like to thank Teané, the writer of The Witch of Howling Creek blog, once again for gifting me this amazing almanac. You really made the year 2013 more magical and spiritual to me; and I’m very, very grateful for that. Thank you!